Six Weeks!


It's been awhile since my last post, so I apologize for not keeping in touch. I feel like my head is going to spin right off my shoulders.

I had a great Labor Day holiday, and hope all of you did as well. Our family got to spend some of Labor day over at one of our very favorite friends' house (Mr. and Mrs. No Name). Mrs. No Name told us she is pursuing gastric bypass (roux-en y) and I'm so thrilled for her. It will be really great to have someone locally with which we can both go through this together.

Also, I got to perform in two venues this weekend - at my Church and at a biker bar. How's that for diversity? The biker bar was the site of a benefit concert that my band participated in to raise money for the local hospice. It was a lot of fun, and we were very warmly received. At Church I got to perform with my wife, who is the most talented violinist I have ever known. She's a lot more talented than she'll ever take credit for. But that was a really great experience, and one I hope we can do together a lot in the future.

On Tuesday, I saw my primary care physician for the first time since the surgery. That was very cool for a number of reasons. It was fun to see the double-take the nurse did when writing my weight down (I never get tired of double-takes), and I have been officially taken off Lipitor. Yes! Chalk up another medication that has bitten the dust. See ya, Lippy. Can't say I'll miss you.

My doctor also told me that Dr. Walsh was the first surgeon that has ever personally contacted him following the surgery to update him on my progress and status. And he's had dozens of patients who have had gastric bypass done. If you've been on the fence about this practice, get off it now. I am so proud to have had my surgery done by Dr. Walsh, and through this fine group.

I have now lost 46 pounds and it is day 42. The days are catching up to the pounds, but wow - did it ever take forever to do so! I've gone out on my first true clothing shopping spree, and my wife is sorry she left me on my own. I couldn't help myself. (at least that's my story)

To be completely fair to me though, getting new clothes has become a huge priority for me since I went to the store the other morning. My dog needed food, so I threw on some clothes I use to hang around the house in and went down to Walmart at about 5:30 AM. Grabbed a 20 pound bag of food, threw it over my shoulder and grabbed a huge dog bone (I love my dog) and a diet coke for my wife (I love her even more). As I was walking out of Wal Mart with my hands full, I could feel my shorts start to slip down. I did my best to stop and tether the clothes, but then had to commit to crossing the intersection without stopping. I'm assuming you can guess what happens next. Yes, my shorts are down under my knees by the time I get to my car. It's 5:30 AM, so my exposure was limited (er, so to speak), but it still underscored the importance of getting clothes that fit. See honey, told you I needed them.

I have been able to write several patient letters lately, which I take very seriously and enjoy a lot.

For those of you considering the surgery, the first month is not easy. What I've tried my best to do here is paint an accurate picture at each step of the way. It was valuable to me to read the other blogs, because I could go into the surgery knowing what to expect.

The reason I'm telling you this now is that I've reached a point where it's become pretty easy and life is really enjoyable. I hope that's encouraging to you. Eating is easy and though I'm really not limited to eating anything, I've made conscious efforts to make good food choices. You can get just as full with good food as you can bad food when you have a small stomach like I do. And life is what you put into it, which (with all due apologies to Mr. Gump) I hope is NOT a box of chocolates.

Best of luck to everyone. Please contact me if you need anything, and keep fighting!



Post a Comment




Back to Blog Posts