Surviving a Sizzling Summer
Summer has arrived in North Carolina and we are facing many hot, steamy days ahead. High Point Regional Health System wants you to have a safe and healthy summer so use these summer sizzling survival tips! And remember, the heat effects are cumulative and that the more days we run high temperatures, the easier it becomes for people to become overwhelmed by the heat. If you have to work outside or are planning any outdoor activities the next few days, please keep the following safety precautions in mind:
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
- Drink plenty of water and minimize fluids with caffeine.
- Take frequent breaks indoors where there is air conditioning.
- Stay inside where it is cool, when possible.
- Avoid alcohol.
- If working outside, work early in the morning or late afternoon.
- Avoid the middle of the day when temperatures are the highest.
- Check on family or neighbors who are sick or elderly to make sure they have fluids and are staying cool.
- NEVER leave a child or pet in a car!
The national weather has put a great Heat Awareness website together with additional information for your safety. The website can be found at: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/heat/